Becoming a Medical Coder…Is it the Right Path for You? | Career Training | The Salter School
X You may need to Reload the page to make it work correctly.

Becoming a Medical Coder…Is it the Right Path for You?

Category(ies): Health Claims Specialist / Medical Billing and Coding

medical billing and coding training program salter school Get the “FAQs” on Medical Billing and Coding training

If you are in the market for career training, you may have heard about the field of Medical Billing and Coding. The Salter School in Massachusetts is proud to provide training in this field through its Health Claims Specialist program. The program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to become medical billers or medical coders—all in less than one year’s time. 

Read our frequently asked questions to find out more about becoming a medical billing and coding specialist.

Q: What do medical billers and coders do?

A: These professionals can work in hospitals, medical offices, outpatient centers, and other healthcare facilities. Medical coders are responsible for recording the correct procedure codes and diagnosis codes on a patient’s medical chart and health insurance claim. Coding the health insurance claim gets the payment process started, so that the medical practices can get paid for the medical services they provide. Medical billers are responsible for sending bills to private insurers, patients, Medicaid and Medicare. They also have to keep track of payments and make sure the bills get paid properly.

Q: How do I apply?

A: At the Salter School, it’s easy to apply for our programs. The Health Claims Specialist program does not require any special training or preparation. You need to have a high school diploma or equivalent and complete our application materials. Our Admissions representatives will help you get started. You can enroll at any time of year. New classes start about every 8 weeks, so if you enroll now, you could be starting your classes within a month or two.

Q: How long does it take to get your diploma at Salter School?

A: Our Health Claims Specialist program can be completed in less than one year. This assumes that you take the full-time course load, exhibit good attendance, do your homework, pass your exams, and pay your tuition on time. Salter also offers evening/Saturday classes for students who have commitments during the day. These part-time programs will take more time to complete.

Q: Will I get a job after I graduate?

A: Helping students get placed in jobs after graduation is one of our school’s most important goals. We are only as successful as the success of our graduates! For this reason, we have a Career Services department that is here for you. We can help you strengthen your resume, improve your cover letter, develop interview skills, and learn how to network. But remember, we need you to be proactive. We can help you with the tools to find a job, but you need to actively look for job postings, apply for jobs, prepare for interviews, and follow up on any job leads. We are so proud of our past graduates who are working as medical billers or coders now!

Q: How much do Medical Billers and Medical Coders make?

A: Salaries for medical billers and coders differ from place to place. A good way to give yourself a rough idea of the salary range is to look online at current job openings. Search on CareerBuilder or LinkedIn, and see if salaries are listed as part of job openings. If you aren’t finding the right information, try the Occupational Outlook Handbook. The handbook’s page on the Pay for Medical Records and Health Information Technicians will show you a median annual wage for the U.S.

Q: Can I get financial aid?

At the Salter School, we have a Financial Aid department that is dedicated to helping students find a way to finance their education. Once you decide to come to Salter School, the first step is to fill out the FAFSA online. This process determines what types of financial aid you may be eligible to receive. Talk with our Financial Aid representatives to learn more about this process. 

Q: Where is the Salter School located in Massachusetts?

We have three campuses that offer the Health Claims Specialist program. They are located in Fall River, Tewksbury, and Malden. We also have a campus in New Bedford that offers a Professional Medical Assistant program.

Still have questions? We are happy to answer any questions you might have about our Health Claims Specialist program, as well as our other career-focused training programs. Contact us today, or schedule a tour of one of our four Massachusetts campuses. We want you to start your new career path with us! 

The Salter School Malden campus is no longer accepting new enrollments.