Health claims specialists are valuable to the healthcare industry
Have you always wanted an office job? A place where you can go to work in a professional environment and use your organizational skills? One option for an office-based career is getting trained to become a medical billing and coding specialist. Also known as health claims specialists, these professionals work in the field of healthcare. They are responsible for handling insurance claims, communicating with insurers, and managing billing matters.
And the great news? You can get trained as a medical billing and coding specialist in just one year. In other words, you don’t need a college degree to be qualified for positions in this field! How do you know if you are a good match for this type of work? First, think about your strengths. Are you detail-oriented? Are you organized and responsible? Are you a good problem-solver? Do you like the idea of working a desk job at a computer? If so, then you may have traits that are a good fit for medical billing and coding.
What should you expect if you decide to get trained as a health claims specialist? Career training programs like the one at the Salter School are designed to provide you with the skills and background you need to succeed in this field. No prior experience is necessary…just a high school diploma or equivalent. Your program will cover topics such as:
- Basic medical terminology
- Basic anatomy, physiology, and body systems
- How to convert written notations into code
- Introduction to coding systems, including the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT-4) and Healthcare Common Procedures Coding System (HCPCS)
- Understanding the health insurance industry
- How to submit claims for Medicare, Medicaid, Workers Comp, and private insurers
- Common billing procedures and billing software
- Electronic health records
Like any training program, you will need to be dedicated to your class work. To pass the program successfully, you need to attend all your classes, complete your homework, study regularly, and pass your exams. With the right attitude and work ethic, we know you can do it!
Here are some reasons you might want to explore this career path:
- The healthcare industry is a respected place to work
- You will get to use your organizational and analytical skills
- Working in an office is a comfortable and professional place to work
- You get to work alongside other healthcare professionals
- Your expertise is portable across the country
- Workplace options are varied, with possibilities such as doctors’ offices, surgery centers, nursing homes, large hospital systems, and more.
With these great benefits, you can see why people are choosing this career field. If you want to learn more, try 5 Things to Know About Becoming a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist. This could be the career for you!
The Salter School offers a Health Claims Specialist program in Malden, Massachusetts. We encourage nearby residents to contact us online to see if we have a career training program for you!