Medical trivia for you!
At the Salter School, we are proud of how hard our Medical Assistant students are working. They are learning medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology, as well as important clinical skills such as injections, blood draws, and more. To add a little fun to the learning, we’ve compiled a bunch of “fun facts.” These bits of medical trivia may not help you ace an exam, but they are still fun to know!
- Which grows faster, your toenails or your fingernails? Fingernails win, growing 3-4 times faster than your toenails.
- Do you see dust bunnies under your bed? Common household dust is about 70 percent human skin cells!
- If you stretched out your small intestine, it would be as tall as a giraffe (about 20 feet).
- Humans have a lot of blood vessels. If you put them end-to-end, they would go half way to the moon (about 100,000 miles).
- Scientists don’t know why we dream, but most of us have about 4 to 6 dreams per night. Do you remember yours?
- The human nose can detect over 1 trillion different scents. That’s a one with 12 zeroes! But did you know that, when you are asleep, your sense of smell shuts down?
- What’s faster than a fastball? A sneeze! Sneezes are about 100 miles per hour.
- Guess what the hardest substance in the human body is: Your tooth enamel. Don’t forget to take care of your teeth…they are super important!
- You may have suspected it and scientists have confirmed it…Yawning is contagious. Yawns can even pass from humans to dogs!
- How tall are you? If you hold your arms out to your sides, and measure from fingertip to fingertip, you will find that your “wingspan” is almost the same as your height!
- Not all blood is created equal. Do you know your blood type? O-positive is the most common blood type, and A-positive is the next most common.
- Do you carry a water bottle with you? The human body is nearly 60% water, so that’s one more reason to stay hydrated!
- Ever wonder how many cells are in the human body? It’s hard to get an exact number, but scientists estimate over 37 trillion cells.
- You probably know that you blink when you sneeze, but did you know that you blink on average 28,000 times a day?
- Fingerprints aren’t the only prints that are unique. Your tongue print is unique too.
- Are you trying to grow your hair long? Be patient. Hair grows only about 6 inches per year.
- Do you give your heart enough credit? First picture how much milk is in a gallon jug. Then think about your heart—it pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood every single day! Find out more about living heart healthy.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our medical trivia! For more information about the Medical Assistant program at Salter School, complete our online form today. We hope to see you at Salter School!