USE THIS SAMPLE IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING JOBS
If you are almost finished with your career training at the Salter School, it’s time to start working on your resume! After your externship and graduation, you will have new skills and important experience that you will want to highlight for potential employers.
If you find it difficult to write your resume, try this sample resume to give you a basis for how to organize your resume. Then think back to all the skills you have developed during the course of your Health Claims Specialist program. Next, talk with your Career Services advisor about the best way to frame your accomplishments. Then get started!
Remember, your resume will be a changing document. You will change it slightly for every job application, because you will want to use the same keywords that the employer wants. But for now, get your base resume written, and you will be that much closer to your goal.
One tip: Because most resumes are submitted online, and scanned by a computer system, it’s better to keep the design of your resume very simple. Stick with a simple font, and avoid any formatting.
For more help in resume writing, see our Resume Tips.
Health Claims Specialist (Medical Billing and Coding) Sample Resume
444 Salter Street – Fall River, MA 02720
Cell: 222-222-2222 – Email: email@example.com
Medical billing and coding professional seeking to bring efficiency, accuracy, and professionalism to a medical coding position with Smith Health Care Center.
MEDICAL BILLER AND MEDICAL CODER SKILLS
- Medical coding and abstracting with CPT-4, ICD-9, and ICD-10
- Insurance claim processing for private insurance, CMS/Medicare, and Medicaid
- Analysis of patient records
- Payment processing
- Understanding of anatomy and medical terminology
- Strong computer skills and fast typist
- Good communication skills
- MS Office, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Have worked with several patient records software programs
- Can type 45 words per minute
Medical Coder Extern (unpaid externship)
Jones Hospital, Fall River, MA – July 2015 to October 2015
- Coded approximately 30 charts per day, under supervision
- Reviewed patient statements for accuracy
- Verified conversion from ICD-9 to ICD-10 codes was accurate
- Processed payments from insurance companies and Medicaid
- Received positive evaluations from site supervisor
Customer Service Associate
Wal-Mart, Fall River, MA – October 2012 to June 2014
- Served as a cashier, and handled purchases and returns
- Worked efficiently to keep lines moving
- Used first-rate customer service skills to keep customers satisfied
- Received strong evaluations from store manager
The Salter School, Fall River, MA (accredited)
Health Claims Specialist diploma, October 2015
XXX-hour program; XXX-hour externship placement; 3.8 GPA
Regional High School, New Bedford, MA
- John Johnson, Instructor, The Salter School, Phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX
- Jane Johnson, Externship Supervisor, Jones Hospital, Phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX