6 Tips to Help You Students Through the Busy Holiday Season
The holidays can be a stressful time for everyone, and many students find it extra difficult to balance school and life during this time of year. At the Salter School, we understand that the holidays can add even more stress for Salter students. Below are some tips for balancing schoolwork and life and managing stress.
1. Keep all of your school materials in one bag—If you’re running out the door, trying to get to school, and can’t find your books or notebooks that can add a lot of stress to your day. Keep all of your school materials in one bag and designate a place for it in your house.
2. Keep a calendar—Electronic calendars on your phone or your computer are a great way to keep on top of your work and your life. Electronic calendars have the added bonus of alerts and reminders. However, an old fashioned-pocket calendar can be just as helpful. The important thing is to record all of your appointments, meetings, and classes. Writing everything down can help you keep on task and complete all of your assignments.
3. Create a schedule—Many people find it helpful to create a schedule and stick to it each week. Sunday night can be a good time to prepare for the following week. Do you find that you have a couple of hours to yourself in the morning after you take the kids to school? Commit to using that time to study and assign a different time for running errands.
Communicate and Don’t be Afraid to Ask for Help
4. Keep those around you in the loop—Try sharing your calendar with your family, so they know your schedule. If you’re having a stressful time at school, let your support system know.
5. Communicate with your boss—If you work in addition to going to school, it is important for your boss to know that you are a student. Share your school schedule with your boss, so they can work with you to create a doable work schedule.
Look for Ways to Manage Your Stress
6. Try to create breaks in your schedule—When creating a schedule, don’t forget to take some time for yourself. Maybe make Friday evening a movie night or schedule a walk with a friend on Sunday mornings. Making time for yourself will help relieve your stress and make you a better student.
We hope that you found these tips helpful for balancing your busy life. We hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season and don’t forget to take some time for yourself during this busy time of year.